One of the most widely celebrated festivals in India is Diwali, also known as Deepavali. It is a festival that brings joy and light into people’s lives. Diwali usually falls in October or November and lasts for five days.
The most significant aspects of Diwali is the lighting of lamps and candles. People decorate their homes with oil lamps called “diyas” and colorful candles. Diwali symbolizes the triumph of light over darkness and good over evil.
In preparation for Diwali, people clean and decorate their homes. Rangoli patterns, made of colorful powders, are drawn on the floor at the entrance of houses. These beautiful designs welcome guests and are believed to bring good luck.
During Diwali, families come together for special prayers and rituals. They visit temples and offer prayers to the gods and goddesses. The exchange of gifts and sweets is a common tradition during this time. Families and friends share delicious homemade sweets and snacks.
Fireworks are a significant part of Diwali celebrations. It lights up the night sky with colorful explosions that creates a spectacular display. People enjoy fireworks with their loved ones which adds to the festive spirit.
In different parts of India, Diwali is associated with different legends and stories. In northern India, it marks the return of Lord Rama after defeating the demon king Ravana. Whereas, in the south, it commemorates the victory of Lord Krishna over the demon Narakasura.
Diwali is a time for unity, joy, and spreading happiness. It brings families and friends together. The festival showcases the rich cultural and spiritual heritage of India, with its vibrant traditions and rituals.
In conclusion, Diwali is a festival that represents the victory of light over darkness, knowledge over ignorance, and good over evil. It is a time of love, sharing, and reflection. It is a festival that not only illuminates homes but also hearts with happiness and positivity.
Answer the following questions.
- What is the festival known as Diwali also called?
- When does Diwali usually take place?
- What is the significance of lighting lamps and candles during
- What is the purpose of cleaning and decorating homes
- What are Rangoli patterns, and where are they typically
- How do families celebrate Diwali together?
- What role do fireworks play in Diwali celebrations?
- Can you mention two different stories or legends associated
with Diwali in different parts of India?
- What values and feelings does Diwali promote in people?
- What is the overall message of the passage about Diwali?